1) Near her a small boy (was playing) silently.
2) One of the men spoke first and said the very things that Michael (had been saying) for so long.
3) It was perfectly true that he had never (been interested in this discipline.
4) He opened the book they had just (brought).
5) She invited him to the party she (was giving) on Saturday.
6) I wondered how long I (had been standing) there, my hand on the phone.
7) Suddenly he (gritted) his teeth in angry exasperation.
8) He felt like a man who came out of a fog-filled tunnel where he (had been walking) blindly for months.
9) It so happened that she (dined) that very evening at Timothy’s.
10) He realized that he (had not heard) her laugh like that since her illness.